About Cherin Law Offices
Steve launched his own business focused practice in 2013. Prior to that, he was a shareholder of Strassburger McKenna Gutnick & Gefsky (chair of corporate transactions); a shareholder of Gefsky and Lehman, P.C. (served as managing partner) and the Business and Tax groups with Buchanan Ingersoll.
Cherin Law Offices, PC represents start-ups, established businesses, investors and private equity and investment banking groups, consulting practices and companies during succession and exit transactions.
- President, Pittsburgh Entrepreneurs Forum
- Founding Partner, Cherin Law Offices, P.C.
- Carnegie Mellon University, with honors, Small Business Management (B.A., 1981)
- Cornell Law School, with honors (J.D., 1984)
Ms. Gleeson is licensed to practice in Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia, California and Florida.
Notable Past Positions
- General Counsel for McAfee.com Corporation
- Senior Attorney for Hewlett-Packard
- Adjunct Professor of Criminal Law and Procedure at the University of Augsburg School of Law in Germany
- B.A. degree in Business Administration from Chatham University
- M.B.A. degree in Marketing/International Business from the New York University Leonard N. Stern School of Business
- J.D. degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- LL.M degree in International Business Transactions from American University Washington College of Law
Types of Clients
We currently represent private equity groups, executives and developing and mature companies in a variety of industries, including engineering, medical devices and services, robotics and software. Many of these clients have relied on Steve through more than one of their business ventures and over the course of more than a decade.
Early Stage Clients
Our experience with mergers and acquisitions and private equity investments allows us to better understand and advise clients on business structuring at formation; through various financing arrangements, and during the ups and downs faced by every business. This representation includes flexible billing arrangements that allow for hands-on legal representation with a limited budget. We have assisted with the formation and growth of businesses in software, medical services, professional services, medical devises, robotics, real estate, manufacturing, on-line and traditional retail, as well as forming and guiding non-profit organizations.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Our experiences with early stage and developing companies helps us understand the process needed to move from development to preparing for a sale or other major financial event. We recommend a process to get ready for a sale or other financing. We have helped the owners in successful sales of technology businesses, engineering, law, medical, oil field and insurance services, as well as manufacturers and distributors of various products. Of course, we also assist buyers or investors with the understanding of what the sellers have gone through or are going through. This includes reviews of issues that could kill a deal or make the investment more risky. We assist with a strategy for reducing that risk. When specialized legal or other professional services are required, we assist by locating and monitoring other professionals to help get the deal done.
Through the years, clients have relied on us to provide guidance and counsel for a variety of issues that arise in employment, tax, intellectual property, contract formation and disputes, and, as necessary, guide them to other professionals to address these issues in a cost-effective manner. Our experience in structuring of transactions has allowed clients to weather many storms or recoup investments.